Thursday, May 7, 2009

Critique/reaction/ response to Hassan Pitt’s work in the Anderson Gallery

Critique/reaction/ response to Hassan Pitt’s work in the Anderson Gallery


I viewed the piece a few days after the opening so I could take in the entire experience, unfortunately it was a little too soft sounding but that was my fault for not turning the volume up.

I thought that the overall creation and purging of anything except skin was a very interesting approach to gain a vulnerable experience. I felt the direct eye contact and the display of an intimate act made the audience more vulnerable feeling than he seemed in the video, although he was the one stripping himself of everything.

The use of blurred, multiple exposures, gives the production an interesting element keeping the viewer more engaged than if it were just one body to focus on. The heater was on, I giving a bathroom an after shower feel, That element added to the piece as well.

Over all I enjoyed viewing Hassan’s Piece. I cant think of any thing to constructively criticize other than it was slightly weird seeing a person I viewed as a professor to be more exposed than in an expected class room setting. But that has to do with the relation to the class not the piece.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice, I like your comments on the idea of vunerability and the relationship between art piece/object/subject and audience. It baffels me that the heat was on? that's strange. I like to think that the piece is a lot more fun with the sound "turned up!" ;) Thanks for the comments and insight. I appreciate it greatly.
    Hassan Pitts

    ReplyDelete